Monday 30 March 2009

DISNEYLAND


On Saturday the 14th of March, I went to Disneyland as part of my dissertation research. My dissertation is about Drama in the Community so all my research towards it is also relevant to Chiswick House project. Going Disneyland was an experience with a surprising outcome. I had been there before to enjoy it fully, but this time I went to observe it. There is a lot of detail put into any wall, floor stone, or anything that you can imagine, but the world is totally superficial. It is all about the exterior, and every time I tried to open a door, it was locked.


I interviewed some workers, and all of them said they believe that Disneyland helps to change and shape children as the happiness of the day fulfils them. I just wonder how a commercial world of materialism can shape anyone into becoming a good person. I just wonder, what is there to be learnt in this world. How to want your ice-cubes to be a Mickey Mouse face?


I did learn two main things out of this experience: How any creative work can be easily transformed into horrible consumerism, and how to shoplift!

1 comment:

Rosie said...

thanks for the pressies!